Recipe: Cold-Brew Green Tea

We are currently in the middle of Spring, and I have found myself slowly gravitating towards colder drinks. I am not a lover of juice and cold-drink; and have always enjoyed sipping on a hot cup of coffee or tea. I decided to experiment with green tea to create a refreshing drink as we approach the warmer months. 


I always thought iced tea and cold-brew teas were one and the same. As I experimented with this recipe I realised the big difference. A cold-brew contains no heat in the process of extraction, as is the case with an iced tea. By eliminating heat, there is no bitterness so your tea will be smoother and sweeter. Cold-brew teas have higher amounts of antioxidants and low caffeine content, as compared to hot brews.

Green tea has a number of health benefits and is considered the healthiest tea on the planet. I recently read an article that stated, green tea contains polyphenol, which is a form of antioxidants that reduce inflammation in the body, a known trigger of premature aging. Furthermore, green tea offers antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral effects that support immunity, together with its ability to act as a probiotic to improve your gut health, green tea really is a superfood of note. It is therefore no surprise why I decided to use green tea as the base of my cold-brew.

The process is simple to follow but requires some preparation in advance. I started off by placing a teabag in a mug and filling it with a cup of ice water. I waited for it to steep for five minutes before removing the teabag and placing the mug in the fridge. It is best to leave the tea to chill in the fridge for a minimum of twenty-four hours. 

After twenty-four hours, remove your tea from the fridge. Pour the tea through a sieve into your glass and enjoy your cold brew as is, or you can proceed to the next step which is flavouring your cold brew. 

I enjoy adding fresh sprigs of mint and two slices of lemon to my cold brew. I let it sit for five more minutes, allowing the flavours to infuse. The lemon cuts through any remaining bitterness that might be present in the cold brew whilst the mint add a burst of freshness. An optional step is to add half to one teaspoon of honey for added sweetness. This is completely optional because the process of making a cold brew allows for natural sweetness to be extracted from the leaves. I enjoy the natural taste and skip adding sweetener.

Recipe: Cold-Brew Green Tea
Ingredients: 
1 x Green tea bag
1 cup (250ml) water

(Optional Ingredients)
1 tablespoon of Mint leaves
2 slices of lemon
1 teaspoon of honey

Directions: 
Add a teabag to a mug and fill it with water. 
Steep for 5 minutes. 
Remove the teabag and place it in the fridge for 24 hours. 
Remove from the fridge and pour it through a sieve into the serving glass. 
Add optional ingredients for added flavour and ice to make it more chilled. 
Allow infusing for 5 minutes before drinking. 


If you decide to make this recipe please tag me on Instagram using the handle, @RivPillay. Please let me know in the comments below what your favourite cold brew flavour is. 

With love, Riv.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifestyle: Anna Organic Feminine Hygiene Range

Recipe: Sugar-free Granola