Recipe: Sugar-free Granola

I remember the days of cereal and milk being the standard go-to breakfast option. Granola has evolved over the years to be not only a meal on its own but an accompaniment to various other meals. This is why I decided to make my own version but in a more healthy and guilt-free form. 

During my school life, I was not a lover of breakfast but this changed when I started working. It is only when your day does allow for lunch breaks or copious cups of coffee that you start to appreciate the importance of a proper breakfast. 

Granola has slowly crept into my cupboard and has been my go-to for a number of breakfast options. Once you make it at home you will realise how simple and easy it is to make, and there will be no need to have store-bought granola that is filled with sugar as most granola is mixed with syrup. 

The base of any granola is generally oats, nuts, and dried fruit. Your choice of nuts and fruit will determine how affordable your granola is. I start off by preheating my oven to 180 degrees celsius. Once preheated, I grease my tray and add one cup of almonds. I roast the almonds for 10 minutes. Once they are roasted, I remove from the oven and give them a rough chop. I used almonds as they are the most cost-effective nut bu you can use hazelnuts, pecan, or macadamia. You can limit it to one or add a combination of nuts making sure that the equal one cup of nuts. 

Thereafter, I add two cups of rolled oats - it is important that you do not use instant or porridge oats as these will leave a gritty powdery texture in your mouth- followed by a quarter cup each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. 

To combine the ingredients I add two to three tablespoons of melted coconut oil, together with two teaspoons of ground cinnamon for flavour - ground nutmeg would also add great flavour. Once the ingredients are well combined, I place the tray back into the oven and bake for ten minutes, mixing half-way. 

After ten minutes, I remove the tray from the oven and add my dried fruit. On this particular day, I only had cranberries on hand, but you can use what you have available such as raisins, goji berries, or banana. I added a quarter cup of the cranberries and for some added protein I added two tablespoons of flax seeds, an alternative to flax seeds can be chia seeds. I placed the tray in the oven and baked for three minutes. 

Once you have completed baking your granola, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before transferring it into your storage jar. I keep mine in a sealed jar in my cupboard. 


Recipe: Sugar-Free Granola
Ingredients: 
1 cup nuts
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1/4 cup cranberries
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 - 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil

(Optional Ingredients)
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

Directions: 
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius 
Add almonds to greased oven tray and roast for 10 minutes
Chop almonds. 
Mix in oats, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds; cinnamon and melted coconut oil. 
Bake for 10 minutes, mixing halfway.
Add flax seeds and cranberries. Bake for 3 minutes.
All to cool to room temperature before storing in a jar. 


As mentioned above, granola is a versatile ingredient. I enjoy eating it with some yogurt and fresh or baked fruit; sprinkled over my smoothie bowls; and on my oatmeal. Do you enjoy granola and if so, what are your favorite combinations or brands?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifestyle: Anna Organic Feminine Hygiene Range